At the last General Membership Meeting, Conda Walsh Chief Steward handed out to all present our local’s new standards for all stewards. They are copied here below.
DAS Local 125 Standards for Stewards
1. All situations where a need for a steward arises will be reported to the Chief Steward.
a. Stewards will keep the Chief Steward updated on the situation.
2. The Chief Steward will assign stewards to situations when and where steward
representation is required.
a. If a Member or Steward feels that a different Steward may handle the situation better, they may contact the Chief Steward for steward reassignment.
3. The Chief Steward will be available by phone between the hours of 5 am – 9 pm, 7 days a week and by email 24/7. In the event the Chief Steward is not available, the next in line is Jeni De Jesús, our Vice President/Steward. Jeni is available M-F 8 am- 5 pm by phone and 24/7 by email. If the Chief Steward is on vacation, then the VP is available 8am -7pm by phone 7 days a week.
4. Stewards are responsible for notifying the Chief Steward when they will not be available due to vacation, furlough days or absences from work such as Jury Duty.
5. Stewards can provide representation on paid time, if the meeting is scheduled after your work hours, you can contact your manager to flex your hours. Should there be a problem with your manager, contact the Chief Steward immediately.
6. Stewards are required at the monthly membership meeting. Pre-excused absences will be accepted. Failure to attend or notify the DAS Local 125 Leadership prior to the meeting can lead to suspension and if chronically absent – dismissal as a steward. Our members deserve to have our presence, our support, and stewards that take that responsibility seriously.
7. All Stewards will provide updated phone number for both work and home, home address (if you have no email address), or updated home email and work email addresses.
This summer is off to bang. Our President has posted a message to his portion of our site and work site meetings are being scheduled.
Lets begin with meetings:
07/11 12:00pm – 1:00 pm: Printing & Distribution – 550 Airport Road SE Salem. 07/12 12:00pm – 1:00 pm : SDC – 530 Airport Road SE Salem.
Meetings are being scheduled for other locations and will be announced.
General Membership Meeting
07/16 5:30pm-7:30pm: SEIU Headquarters
If you have any topics you would like discussed at any of the worksite meetings, please let your on-site stewards know. If you have a topic for discussion or you would like training on for the general membership meeting, please let the leadership team know.
About our Local’s website, it is the goal of our Exexutive team to see that there is new content on the site weekly. So the first step in this direction is a message from our President Stephen Walsh. You can find a link to his page at the top of the page or follow this link: http://local125.seiu503.org/the-presidents-page.
Yours in Unity,
Jeni De Jesús